Monday, May 31, 2010

Music Theory

I recently finished my 1st theory book Fundamentals of Piano Theory - Level 1 by Keith Snell and Martha Ashleigh.

I reviewed:
  • Note names
  • Time signatures and rythms
  • Accidentals
  • Intervals
  • Whole and Half Steps
  • Key signatures
  • Form
  • Ear training
  • Sight reading
I actually learned:
  • 5 finger patterns and triads
  • Tetra chords
  • Primary triads
  • Inversions
  • Accompanying with I and V Tetra chords
  • Transposing
  • A bit about the 4 periods of music history
It's amazing how much you discover you don't know.  When I picked up this book in the store I thought "I know this stuff, maybe I should start with book 2 or 3."  Then, I figured a review would be good, so I bought book 1.  I am so glad I chose to start at the beginning!  There was obviously so much that I didn't know.  It was a bit of a humbling experience.  I have 12+ years of musical background, and yet there were so many things I didn't know at a beginner level.  Things I chose not to learn or pay attention to, which really set me back.

My piano teacher tried to get me to learn these things years ago, but I was not interested.  Now that I'm old enough to appreciate the lessons she tried to teach me, I am much more confident that I will accomplish my goal of becoming a better musician.  I am also grateful for her initial attempts, as much of the lessons did sink in.  So, a heart-felt "Thank you" to Suzi!  (Also, thank you mom for assisting me with the ear training portion!)

What lessons surprised you when you discovered you didn't know them?

No comments:

Post a Comment