Monday, March 29, 2010

Defining the Path: Destination 1

The definition of your goal depends entirely upon you.  No one else.  After all, we're here to live our own lives, so it is up to each of us to define what that means to us.  Your spouse can't tell you, your parents can't tell you, your friends can't tell you, only you can say what the difference between living and existing is.

What does becoming a better musician mean to me?  Here are the specific goals I have for this area.

Destination #1:  Become A Better Musician

  • I want to play the guitar reasonably well.  I want to be able to pick up a guitar and play a variety of songs for my own amusement and to entertain others.  The object here is not to be the next Carlos Santana, it's just for fun.
  • I want to play the violin amazingly well.  I played the violin for 6 years; however that was a long time ago.  I was once extremely talented in this area, and I am hoping that all the talent I once had is not gone forever.  I want to be good enough to play first chair in the orchestra/symphony of my choosing or to be a solo performer.  (The goal is not to play first chair or be a professional soloist, but I want to be good enough that I could be.)
  • I want to play the piano amazingly well.  I played the piano for 6 years, and like the violin that was a long time ago.  Unlike the violin I was never extremely talented in this area; however I wasn't a complete dunce at it.  The end goal here is to be able to play at a concert pianist level.
  • I want to sing amazingly well.  Music is obviously something that I love, and like the other instruments, I have been singing for quite a long time.  At this time I don't have the self confidence to say that I want to be a soloist, but I love singing in a choir and would love to be good enough to join an elite choral group.
What specific goals do you have in mind?  I'd love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment